Forum Message

Topic: Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:"Ealing Council Makes £2.4 Million from LTN Fines"
Posted by: Ossian Olsén
Date/Time: 29/08/21 08:52:00

Hi Louise,

you are listing issues that you have observed and are linking these issues to LTN and to the widening of pedestrian walking areas.  I am afraid that is far too simplistic.  There are other factors at play. 

You may not know the basis for why bus stops have been redesigned, it does not make it “for no apparent reason”.   “busses cases traffic to wait behind”, that may be exactly the reason for the redesign, but it is not my field of expertise nor do I know the current design approach.  There will be British standards that provides the ‘best’ design.  The BSs change with time and are based on case studies and empirical assessments, they are not perfect.

I completely agree that cycle lanes would be safer, but I suspect there are restrictions that mean we cannot create these everywhere, for example under bridge road width.  Not sure if that was your point. 

In fact, I may be missing the point you try and make.  But my view is, and why I respond, is because ‘we’ have to stop dealing in anecdotal ‘evidence’ and look at data before we can draw conclusions.  Ltns aren’t always good not always bad, but for some reason on this forum contributors are either for or against something without any interest in facts.

If the data shows that ltns are, holistically, ‘bad’ the council should act accordingly, and vice versa.  But to rely on your perceived reality, backed by others who feel the same on a forum, is not evidence of it being true.  It feels that way, confirmation bias has a way of doing that, which is why it may be helpful considering an issue from the other perspective and not always presume ulterior motives.

As an example, I have recently noticed substantially less traffic on chiswick high road, can I then conclude that the new bus stops and cycle lanes are really effective in reducing traffic?  Of course not, that would be too simplistic of an analysis of the matter - there will be a number of other factors to consider; such as road works, time of day, school holidays, m/a4 not busy, the traffic may be stuck at chiswick roundabout, and there may be other restrictions east and west - all having an impact (as well as the new road layout). 

Someone else may experience the complete opposite, who is right? - it is not possible to determine whose perceived experience of the traffic on CHR is correct just based on anecdotes shared on a forum.  We need to measure traffic, air quality, safety stats, etc.

This is why the designers rely on different ways of designing and model traffic, to try and simulate the impact of changes.  Nothing is perfect, but at least it is based on some form of reality and not perception.

Finally, your point around the traffic flow designers intentionally causing traffic jams to get cars off the road seems highly unlikely, if you have evidence (no more anecdotes please)  please share.  town planners and road designers are professionals and just like a pharmacists, electrician or a doctor and equipped with the skills required for their role.  Not all of them are, of course, qualified but I would be hesitant to challenge anyone’s competence or a solution without understanding the full context and basis of design.

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
"Ealing Council Makes £2.4 Million from LTN Fines"27/06/21 16:53:00 Rosco White
   Re:"Ealing Council Makes £2.4 Million from LTN Fines"28/06/21 15:15:00 Peter Yale
      Re:Re:"Ealing Council Makes £2.4 Million from LTN Fines"28/06/21 16:11:00 Rosco White
         Re:Re:Re:"Ealing Council Makes £2.4 Million from LTN Fines"29/06/21 15:13:00 Mark Evans
            Re:Re:Re:Re:"Ealing Council Makes £2.4 Million from LTN Fines"29/06/21 18:05:00 Maggie Dodge
               Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:"Ealing Council Makes £2.4 Million from LTN Fines"30/06/21 22:54:00 Rosco White
                  Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:"Ealing Council Makes £2.4 Million from LTN Fines"04/07/21 07:43:00 Ajit Singh
                     Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:"Ealing Council Makes £2.4 Million from LTN Fines"04/07/21 22:17:00 Nicolas Ozegovic
                        Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:"Ealing Council Makes £2.4 Million from LTN Fines"24/08/21 21:31:00 Ossian Olsén
                           Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:"Ealing Council Makes £2.4 Million from LTN Fines"09/09/21 00:00:00 Ron Lewis
                              Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:"Ealing Council Makes £2.4 Million from LTN Fines"12/09/21 09:57:00 Ossian Olsén
                                 Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:"Ealing Council Makes £2.4 Million from LTN Fines"13/09/21 23:43:00 Ron Lewis
                                    Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:"Ealing Council Makes £2.4 Million from LTN Fines"13/09/21 23:50:00 Ron Lewis
                     Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:"Ealing Council Makes £2.4 Million from LTN Fines"27/08/21 01:16:00 Louise Randall
                        Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:"Ealing Council Makes £2.4 Million from LTN Fines"29/08/21 08:52:00 Ossian Olsén
   Reply05/07/21 16:28:00 Tania Bapuji
   Reply05/07/21 16:28:00 Tania Bapuji
   Reply05/07/21 16:29:00 Tania Bapuji
      Low traffic neighbourhood 05/07/21 19:00:00 Mark Frost
         Re:Low traffic neighbourhood 25/08/21 15:11:00 Philippa Bond
            Re:Re:Low traffic neighbourhood 16/09/21 13:33:00 Rosco White
               Re:Re:Re:Low traffic neighbourhood 02/10/21 18:40:00 Maggie Dodge
                  Reply04/10/21 10:04:00 Tania Bapuji

Forum Home