Forum Message

Topic: GARDENS:  National Gardens Scheme (ngs) and Ealinng in Bloom
Forum Home
Posted by: Philippa Bond
Date/Time: 05/06/18 21:51:00

Do you need inspiration?

I happened upon a National Gardens Scheme (ngs) open garden when working in Hammersmith the other day and managed to grab a look.  It was inspirational - it was probably about 5m x 2 and a half.  Enough space to sit outside the kitchen on a bench and have a cup of coffee and enjoy the plants in front of you and growing up the walls/fence. A peaceful little green oasis away from the grey hard surfaced pavements and busy A4.  It had grass in the middle - not a lot but real grass proving that you don't have to turn any small garden into a patio.  I wished I'd had more time...  there were quite a few other gardens in the area which were open with the proceeds going to the charities that the ngs support.

https://www.ngs.org.uk/

(and apparently there is also tea and cake)

Ealing in Bloom

Now I have heard of this but see fewer and fewer posters around.  The deadline for entering your garden, patio etc is 8th June.  You have to email or go to the library to get a form.

https://www.ealingallotmentspartnership.co.uk/images/ealing-in-bloom/ealing-in-Bloom-2018-Poster.pdf

Please don't believe that it is so much easier to have a patio and pots because so many plants - if you choose the right ones ie not just the ones you fancy - will grow far better and will be less effort and less demanding growing in a garden than pots where you have to constantly keep on watering and feeding.  Have a look at the shrubs which grow well in gardens around you - and give a neighbour a hand when they become less mobile - please!  It will not only make our streets a lot more pleasant but will be good for the well-being of many.  

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
GARDENS:  National Gardens Scheme (ngs) and Ealinng in Bloom05/06/18 21:51:00 Philippa Bond
   Re:GARDENS:  Ealing in Bloom - Last Day for Entries/Brentford Community Planting08/06/18 12:01:00 Philippa Bond
      Re:Re:GARDENS:  Royal Horticultural Society10/06/18 18:44:00 Philippa Bond
         Re:Re:Re:GARDENS:  Royal Horticultural Society17/06/18 14:49:00 Janice Evans
            Re:Re:Re:Re:GARDENS:  Royal Horticultural Society17/06/18 14:50:00 Janice Evans
               Re: Porous & Permeable Front Gardens are needed to avoid flooding risks21/06/18 11:43:00 Philippa Bond
                  Re:Re: Porous & Permeable Front Gardens are needed to avoid flooding risks21/06/18 11:55:00 Janice Evans
                     Re:Re:Re: Porous & Permeable Front Gardens are needed to avoid flooding risks03/07/18 03:10:00 Philippa Bond

Forum Home