Forum Message

Topic: Re:Churchfield Road hairdresser in the headlines
Posted by: Sara Nathan
Date/Time: 23/09/10 12:04:00

10% discount offered to readers at the end of this article - you'll deserve it by then!

At the cutting edge…
Kerry hairstylist Anthony Foley tells ANGELA SAMMON about bringing the city salon experience to West London - 25/08/10
At the cutting edge…

Tucked away in Acton, West London, is a gem of a hair salon that we think deserves a mention in our business profiles.

Anthony Bell is run by partners Anthony Foley and Kevin Bell and aims to bring West End service and style to West London.

The salon is situated on Churchfield Road in the heart of Poets Corner, one of the most affluent, eclectic and cosmopolitan neighbourhoods in the area. When it was established in 2006, its aim was to recreate that style and atmosphere within the salon. The sophisticated premises are discreetly elegant, with a warm and approachable atmosphere.

It is here that Kerry native Anthony Foley can be found, bringing decades of experience and training to the benefit of his clients.

Anthony has been a hair stylist for 22 years, 19 of which were spent working with O’Sullivan Concept Salons, a top West End independent chain.

Kevin Bell is a professional florist who has worked for many years with Stephen Woodhams in Belgravia, and is widely accepted to be one of the top 10 names in the floral industry.

Their partnership brings together the experience, professionalism and creative flair which is part of the Anthony Bell concept. Walk through the door here and you’ll find a friendly, unpretentious, unisex boutique hairdressing salon, in an unhurried but professional environment.

Their vision, says Anthony, is to provide their clients with the care and attention rarely found in a city salon.

“In a metropolis of hundreds of hair salons it is still a challenge to find both a stylist and an environment that instills confidence in the client and puts them immediately at ease,” he explains as he weighs up my rather jaded layers.

“At Anthony Bell we aim to dispel the anxiety as soon as you walk through the door. One of the most common complaints we hear is that stylists don’t listen. I spend time chatting to customers, getting to know them so that I understand how you feel about your hair and how you would like it to look.”

One of the key attractions for many Anthony Bell clients is that the attention is personal and friendly, without being overbearing. As a stylist, Anthony is confident but also practical and realistic about what the customer can achieve when faced with the challenge of creating one’s own look on a busy morning.

As a client I find his approach to be refreshing and reassuring. I can happily sit here flicking through magazines, confident in the knowledge that he won’t go wild with the scissors when I’m not watching!

His aim is to ensure that every customer leaves the salon relaxed and with a haircut and colour they love. And while that aim is likely to be imagined in salons around the country, I think we all know that this is far from the truth. I have emerged from hairdressers in distress so many times that I always approach a new stylist with some trepidation. But a trip to Anthony Bell is a relaxing and enjoyable experience, where the “do” is just part of the package. From the yummy coffee served in a stylish china cup to Kevin’s relaxing head-massage; the visit is always enjoyable and definitely a step above the usual salon experience.

Anthony is clearly passionate about what he does and it is a dream come true for him to own his own salon.

Hairdressing, he says, has always been his passion. He commenced his career as a 16-year-old trainee in Tralee before heading for the bright lights of London. For over twenty years he happily worked for O’Sullivan Concept Salons in the West End, a family-run company originally from Clare. Eventually though, it was time to go alone and Anthony Bell is now firmly established as one of the most successful salons in West London.

Although the salon was established just before the recent downturn, business has remained consistently high, with new local customers joining the established list of clients who followed Anthony from his previous position.

That said though, there have been lessons learned along the way.

“Running your own business is a lot harder work than I imagined,” he says when asked about the challenges of doing it alone. “But it’s hugely rewarding, especially when new customers return and recommend their friends. I’ve also found that word of mouth is the best form of advertising. Almost everybody who comes through the door is a friend or family member of a current client. That is also very reassuring and gives me great confidence in the future success of the business.

“Of course on the other end of the spectrum is the fact that I haven’t really had a holiday since establishing the salon, but to be honest I love it so much that it’s not a major issue.”

2010 has seen Anthony Bell hiring its first additional stylist in response to growing trade. The search, he says, took forever and he never realised that finding the right employee would take such a long time. Clearly, he will not let anyone loose on his clients!

So business continues to grow despite the downturn. But then good hair-care, as fair as Anthony and the team are concerned, is an essential not a luxury.

They have continued to offer the best service they possibly can at an affordable price and it’s definitely reaping rewards. For Anthony though, the pride and love of his job are obviously two of the main benefits of having his own salon.

“No two days are really the same because each customer is unique,” he explains. “This job involves being as good a listener as you are a hairdresser! I am happy whether I’m colouring, highlighting or styling a client’s hair and with the chitchat, counselling and the gossip, the day just flies by!”

• GET IN TOUCH: Anthony Bell,
75 Churchfield Road London W3 6AX
, 020 8993 3300. Visit www.anthony-bell.com

Anthony Bell are delighted to offer Irish World readers 10% discount until the end of November 2010. Just mention this article when booking

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
Churchfield Road hairdresser in the headlines23/09/10 11:20:00 Daniel McCoy
   Re:Churchfield Road hairdresser in the headlines23/09/10 12:04:00 Sara Nathan
      Re:Re:Churchfield Road hairdresser in the headlines23/09/10 12:54:00 Dee Cook
         Re:Re:Re:Churchfield Road hairdresser in the headlines23/09/10 12:57:00 Sara Nathan
            Re:Re:Re:Re:Churchfield Road hairdresser in the headlines27/09/10 12:41:00 Jill Williams

Forum Home