Forum Message

Topic: Re:Re:Re:Re:Reclying plastic bottles
Posted by: Marlene Plimley
Date/Time: 18/08/10 07:54:00

The Bottle Bill or Container Deposit Law has been in force in Canada for a long time now and in Quebec since 1984. The consumer pays a deposit when he buys a bottle or can of soda or beer and the empty container can be taken back to the store. Most large supermarkets have those machines you mentioned.  Just  pop the container in and out comes the money! One rarely sees a bottle or can on the street as they are snapped up by scavengers and on ‘Recycle Day’ scavengers raid your blue box looking for bottles and cans you may have thrown out. Beer bottles have been returnable as long as I can remember.

Each province operates differently but in Quebec the program is overseen by Recyc-Québec, 'a Crown corporation responsible for promoting, developing and facilitating the reduction, reuse, recovery and recycling of containers, packaging, materials and products as well as reclamation with a view to resource conservation.' In Ontario the Beer Store buys back wine and spirit bottles (for about 20 cents each I think) and they are reused.

The result is one really doesn’t see a lot of empty bottles and cans littering the streets. Unfortunately glass and plastic water bottles are non-redeemable and must be left for kerbside collection.

Another good idea they have is recycling paint. (I can only speak about Quebec as each province operates differently.) There are many hardware stores that will happily accept tins of old paint and stains or they can be taken to an ‘Eco Centre.’ The paint is then sold presumably to a paint reprocessing company like Boomerang Paints.
http://www.boomerangpaint.com/philo.asp

This is excellent quality paint and only costs about £6 a bucket. I painted a three story house last year with it! Recycling of paint is overseen by Peintures Récupérées du Québec Inc.  which has been operating since 1992.

I haven’t seen much ‘recycled paint’ on sale over here or perhaps I’ve missed something.

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
Reclying plastic bottles14/08/10 18:22:00 Tony Crumpton
   Re:Reclying plastic bottles15/08/10 11:51:00 Ian M Green
      Re:Re:Reclying plastic bottles17/08/10 09:16:00 Philippa Bond
         Re:Re:Re:Reclying plastic bottles17/08/10 10:41:00 Dee Cook
            Re:Re:Re:Re:Reclying plastic bottles18/08/10 07:54:00 Marlene Plimley
               Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Reclying plastic bottles18/08/10 11:11:00 Fred Bray

Forum Home