Forum Message

Topic: Re:Re:Re:Any Benefits of Brexit? Acton Coffee meetup this Saturday
Posted by: Mark Evans
Date/Time: 07/03/24 11:12:00

It is already happening with very little divergence since the introduction of the Windsor Framework and no new trade deals on the heels of the disasterous Austrailian one. Rejoining Horizon is likely to be followed by further winding back on ridiculous decisions to leave European wide institions that we could have remained in even outside the EU.

The gradual introduction of the Border Target Operating Model is going to lead to more pain for farmers, consumers and the economy generally over the next few months and the dwindling band of people who still think Brexit was a good idea is going to get even smaller.

The question going forward is how the damage is fixed. Labour don't want to make it an election issue and I can kind of understand why but they must know they need to unhamper our export industries to get economic growth back up. Unpicking what has happened since we left the EU will be complex but Labour will be building on the foundation of the renewed positive attitude that the current government has had.

I think Labour's majority would be unaffected if Starmer committed to rejoining the Single Market under the next government but the reality is his caution will probably mean that it won't be until the following election that he makes rejoining the Customs Union a manifesto commitment. By that time I would imagine not even the Conservatives would disagree.

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
Any Benefits of Brexit? Acton Coffee meetup this Saturday23/02/24 09:07:00 Bruce Dickson
   Re:Any Benefits of Brexit? Acton Coffee meetup this Saturday23/02/24 18:54:00 Rosco White
   Re:Any Benefits of Brexit? Acton Coffee meetup this Saturday24/02/24 10:35:00 Vlod Barchuk
      Re:Re:Any Benefits of Brexit? Acton Coffee meetup this Saturday24/02/24 11:39:00 Rosco White
      Re:Re:Any Benefits of Brexit? Acton Coffee meetup this Saturday25/02/24 09:24:00 Susan Kelly
         Re:Re:Re:Any Benefits of Brexit? Acton Coffee meetup this Saturday07/03/24 11:12:00 Mark Evans

Forum Home